Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Nalini Singh's Angels' Blood

First off I am going to tell you that literary fiction readers would probably thumb their nose at this book.  Having said that, I could not put the book down. It has been a long time since I have wanted to stay up late or get up early to read a book.  I decided to try this series of Nalini's because I really enjoyed her Psi/Changeling series and I needed a break from that. When I first picked the book up I wasn't sure about the premise of angels, vampires and vampire hunters.  But within a few pages I was hooked. I realized right away that the vampire hunters are not destroyers of vampires but catch them and return them to the angel who "Made" them.  At this point I realized that it would be nothing like Laurell K Hamiton's Anita Blake.   Chili Pepper On FireGranted there were some aspects of the plot that bothered me and I would try to get my head around, but I very quickly would say "I don't care" and just kept on reading.  Nalini's language is a little coarser in this one than with the Psi/Changeling series, which might be an issue for some readers. She really is great at creating that feeling of longing for another person at every single level, whether it's physical or emotional. All of her female characters are are very strong and have a definite point of view. But I like the emotionality of her characters in this book. While I have started the second one I have only just started it. So far many of the questions I had in the first one have been answered. Jan has finished the the second book Archangel's Kiss and says that it's just as good as the first.  If you decide on reading this I would love to hear what you thought of it.
~Sarah

5 comments:

  1. This book is the start to Nalini Singh's new series based on Angels and vampires. It wasn't dark or biblical as I had been expecting, but Gabriel was definitely an alpha male, even with wings. The heroine was spunky, but I found her more endearing in the second book where she's learning to deal with her new situation. I enjoyed the second book more than the first. It's less sexually motivated and more about the journey of a new angel. I wouldn't call this book fluffy though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Book was great fun. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a new author love. Downloaded this and read it in a night. Hot angles. Kinda freaky. But in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah came to work a few weeks ago, tired from reading too late, and told me Angels' Blood was the cause. Like this post, she gave me all kinds of warnings, and I just listened and said, "Okay, whatever... just give me the book!"

    Yes, this book has a strong fantasy element. As a reader, you have to be willing to stretch your imagination. I wasn't sure about a sensual book concerning angels (I have this thing about keeping angels holy) but this author made it work. I COULDN'T PUT THE BOOK DOWN. It's the first story in a very long time that I stopped my life to finish reading it. I ordered take-out for the family, forgot about the laundry, and stayed up until three in the morning. So, even though literary fiction readers may thumb their nose at this book, I was highly entertained, and thank the author for providing such a fun read.

    ~Jan

    ReplyDelete