Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Have a Little Historical Romance This Holiday

I don't know what it is about this time of year, maybe it's the snow, or the romance of the season, or just a feeling of nostalgia, but I love to go back in time and read about love and happy endings.  This is the time of year where I curl up in front of the fireplace (or in my case a pellet stove) with a good historical romance.  Sarah and I have suggested a few of our favorites for you.

Hope to see you in our library someday soon,
Jan

book jacketThe Seducer by Madeline Hunter Chili Pepper On Fire
 
Recommendation from Jan:
There is nothing dark or paranormal about these stories, except for a few spicy  love scenes that usually come with a good regency romance.  I have so many favorite authors in this genre: Mary Balogh, Johanna Lindsey, Jude Deveraux and Judith McNaught, Jayne Anne Krentz, Eloisa James, Julie Garwood, and many more.  However, if I were forced to make a choice, at this moment, I would choose Madeline Hunter.  I love how this author puts her readers back in time with her accurate but brief descriptions, authentic dialog, and engaging characters and situations.  They are lovely reads, every single one.  So, for my recommendation, I will give you the first book of an amazing series: The Seducer by Madeline Hunter.    
 
Description from Madeleine Hunter's website:
An innocent searching for her lost family, Diane Albret finds herself living in the house of Daniel St. John. The world thinks she is his cousin, but she knows differently. She also knows that her attraction to this dangerous, dark and mysterious man is perilous to both her heart and her future. Worse, she fears his generosity is a prelude to seduction and that he plans to make her his mistress--an offer she does not trust herself to refuse.
Daniel indeed has plans for Diane, but they involve his scheme to complete a lifelong dark quest. The legendary seducer also has a secret about her lost past that he will do anything to keep; a secret that will put both their lives in jeopardy even as the passion they deny threatens to break out of all control.

Request The Seducer from the Bangor Public Library

book jacket
Hunter's current series The Rarest Blooms is just as wonderful!Chili Pepper On Fire
Book 1 - Ravishing In Red
Request Ravishing In Red from the Bangor Public Library
Book 2 - Provocative in Pearls
Request Provocative In Pearls from the Bangor Public Library
Book 3 - Sinful in Satin
On Order, but out in book stores now!


book jacket
Second Sight by Amanda Quick

Recommendation from Sarah:
I absolutely love all of Amanda Quick's novels.  They usually involve a very strong, independent main female character, which is unusual for the time period in which they are set.  This particular one has the paranormal aspect which is where many of Jayne Ann Krentz's novels have been going lately.

Book Description:
Writing as Amanda Quick (Lie by Moonlight, etc.), Jayne Ann Krentz offers another spirited Victorian romance, light on Victorian, heavy on romance. Photographer Venetia Milton supports her brother, sister and maiden aunt while keeping secrets: her late father's bigamy, her paranormal gift for seeing people's auras ("like looking at a negative image of the world") and her more-than-willing ravishment by client Gabriel Jones...

Request Second Sight from the Bangor Public Library

book jacket

Holly by Jude Deveraux
Recommendation from a blog follower: 
Thank you "Anonymous" (whoever you are) for the reminder about this book.  I loved Holly as well, and it's the perfect little love story for this time of year.  It reminds me of Jude's earlier works, and what I loved so much about her romances.
~Jan

Book description:
A relentless campaign by phone, letter, and email has persuaded Hollander Latham's parents to purchase the home of her dreams: Spring Hill, a beautiful North Carolina plantation where Holly spent her memorable thirteenth summer. Now a successful architect, Holly is intent on reuniting with Spring Hill's neighbor and her love from that long-ago summer, wealthy heir Laurence Beaumont -- she dreams of working her way into Lorrie's heart while restoring his historic estate, Belle Chere. But as Christmas fast approaches, Nick Taggert -- a mysterious stranger who makes her laugh and tempts her with a surprising passion -- turns her plans upside down. One man can seduce her with fortune and privilege; the other can promise her the simple gift of love. And on a frost-covered Christmas night, Holly's choice will unmask astonishing truths and hidden dangers -- revelations that will forever change her charmed life and her vulnerable heart.
~description from Amazon

Request Holly from the Bangor Public Library

book jacket

A Kiss At Midnight by Eloisa James
Recommendation from a blog follower:
Another historical romance author for your list. I'm reading A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James. It's not like her other books but I'm enjoying it. It's a retelling of the Cinderella story, but done nicely. When will that story ever get old, really?

Book description:
Well-known for tales of dukes and duchesses, James (A Duke of Her Own) upgrades to the handsome prince in this delectable Regency reimagining of the Cinderella story. Miss Katherine Daltry, on the shelf at 23, manages the household of her ungrateful stepmother and silly stepsister, who inherited all of her father's estate. Kate is thrust from the cinders to the spotlight when her stepsister needs a stand-in for a betrothal ball at Pomeroy Castle. Gabriel, youngest princeling of the duchy of Warl-Marburg-Baalsfeld, needs a rich wife to support his archeology habit; Kate is, of course, manifestly unsuitable. Eccentric turns from Professor Biggitstiff, a pickle-eating dog, and an irrepressible godmother spin a candy floss comic romp around a core of heartache. James's deft touch allows the characters to shine through genuinely witty dialogue and an uncluttered plot.
~Review from Publishers Weekly

Request A Kiss At Midnight from the Bangor Public Library

13 comments:

  1. I noticed you listed "early" Jude Deveraux as one of your favorite authors. I'm not into her lastest books either, although I don't think she's written anything for a while. I loved her Velvet series, also historical. Have you read Holly? I think she wrote it a few years ago, but it reminds me of her earlier works, and it's a good Christmas love story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget to put one of your flaming chili peppers next to The Seducer!!! The love scenes didn't offend me but I found them to be very explicit. I enjoyed the book and went on the read some of the others. The Romantic in this series was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda Quick, a.k.a. Jayne Ann Krentz, is awesome. I read all her books. Second Sight was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read Holly and loved it! Thanks for the recommendation. I think I'm going to add this title to the group above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another historical romance author for your list. I'm reading A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James. It's not like her other books but I'm enjoying it. It's a retelling of the Cinderella story, but done nicely. When will that story ever get old, really?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kiss at Midnight was a fun little romance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Eloisa James! I can't believe I forgot to put her in my favorite author list. I'm going to edit that! :o) I have not read A Kiss at Midnight but I just checked it out from the library and I'll let you know what I thought!

    Thanks for the recommendation!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm surprised Diana Gabaldon hasn't been mentioned. I haven't found an author in this genre that can live up to her Outlander series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello? Julie Garwood! The Bride! If you date back to McNaught and Deveraux, you must have read Garwood as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James and LOVED it! It was a sweet romance with a typical happy ending, my favorite kind! :o) Thanks for the recommendation. I've added it to the books above.
    ~Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband decided to drag me camping last summer. I convinced him to rent a cabin for the well being of our marriage. In the cabin was a book by Lisa Klepas that someone left behind, Suddenly You, or Almost You, something like that. It was about an author in the 1800's who decided to buy herself a lover for her thirtieth birthday. Let's just say while my husband got chewed alive fishing, I stayed inside with my nose in that book. It was the first historical romance I've ever read. Sizzle. Sizzle. Sizzle. Who knew?
    Can you recommend other writers like Lisa Klepas?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could never get into the Gabaldon books, and I've tried more than once because several of my friends love them. It's the same for me with Danielle Steele. Everyone loves them and I can't get into them. Maybe its just me

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello again,

    I just wanted to mention that I wrote "early" Jude Deveraux because this post is about historical romance, and her current books seem to be more contemporary fiction, but just as wonderful. Jude Deveraux will always hold a special place in my heart. Twin of Fire and Ice were my entry into the world of romance novels. A Knight In Shining Armor is on my top ten favorite books of all time.

    To answer the question about Kleypas. I have read Suddenly You, and it was quite enjoyable, and well deserving of one of my flaming chili peppers! :o) If you like Kleypas, try Julia London, Eloisa James, and any of the books posted above. I think I'll add Suddenly You to the mix. I really liked the premise about an author and publisher; it didn't involve dukes or royality, but rather the upper working class during that time period.

    And last, Julie Garwood is a Goddess! I can't believe I forgot her. Maybe it is because I do date back a few years! Well, maybe more. :o) The Bride is going into the mix above!

    THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS!

    ReplyDelete