Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Dark-Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

book jacketReview by Jan:

For the paranormal romance fans, this series is one of the best!  As mentioned before in this blog, Sherrilyn is the master of creating a tortured hero.  There are several scenes in her books that I remember vividly, even though I may have read them years ago.  For an author's characters to stay in my memory, it is a sign of an imaginative writer who knows how to develop her characters.  I've listed Fantasy Lover first; it's not technically a part of the series, but there are reoccurring characters from the book.  It's also quite a fun read! 

Every book in this series is worth reading, but I have a few favorites: Dance with the Devil and Night Play.  Dance With the Devil is the best back story of a main male character I've read to date!  In Night Play, the herione is over weight, well...what society considers over weight, and OMG I LOVED this book!  It was too good to put into just a few words.

If you haven't read this series yet, give it a try.  If you have, post a comment... I love to talk about these books!

Hope to see you in our library someday soon,
Jan

Dark-Hunter series in reading order:
Read First - Fantasy Lover
Book 1 - Night Pleasures
Book 2Night Embrace
Book 3 - Dance With the Devil
Book 4 - Kiss of the Night
Book 5 - Night Play
Book 6 - Seize the Night
Book 7 - Sins of the Night
Book 8 - Unleash the Night
Book 9 - Dark Side of the Moon
Book 10 - The Dream Hunter
Book 11 - Fear the Darkness (BPL doesn't own)
Book 12 - Upon a Midnight Clear (BPL doesn't own)
Book 13 - Devil May Cry
Book 14 - Dream Chaser
Book 15 - Acheron
Book 16 - One Silent Night
Book 17 - Dream Warrior
Book 18 - Bad Moon Rising
Book 19 - No Mercy
Book 20 - Retribution

: :  Request each book from the Bangor Public Library by clicking on the cover  : :
book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket 

12 comments:

  1. Based on Greek mythology, mixing daemons and men seeking vengance strong enough to give up their souls in order to become Dark-Hunters, this is one of my all time favorite series. It is the injustice that is done to them, and why they seek their vengance, that sucks me in every time. (They're not too ugly either)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I need to catch up on this series. I stopped somewhere around Dream-Hunter. I like it better when the main characters are the Dark Hunters, except for Vane and Bride in Night Play. It is one of my favorites as well. I loved the scene in the restaurant, and the whole New Orleans atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zarek's story in Dance with the Devil WAS intense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great scene in the restaurant, wasn't it? Brennan's - I believe, and it's really sad I remember that! :o) And I love New Orleans. I've only been once, but I would love to go again, and its always fun revisiting in books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, does this series need to be read in order? Or can I just start with your two favorites? I'm intrigued with your review on Dance With the Devil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll do okay without Fantasy Lover, but I strongly recommend you read Night Pleasures and Night Embrace before Dance with the Devil. Although inspired by Greek mythology, Kenyon has created an intricate fantasy world with original elements, and you may miss some of the nuances and character development. Many of the characters are reoccurring, especially Acheron. However, the first books are well worth the read. I just remember Zarek so vividly, and when you read his story, you'll understand why.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great series, even greater author! I love how Sherrilyn Kenyon takes her antogonists from one book and turns them into a main character the next. Case in point, Stryker's story in One Silent Night. I checked the Amazon reviews on this book and didn't get what people were talking about----but, hey, to each her own! Kenyon makes you understand the "bad boy's" side of the story and love that dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only this series were shorter...

    I know I'd never have time to work my way through the whole series, although it does look interesting. However, my understanding is that Acheron (the book, not the character) is something of a prequel/backstory and explains the world setting and how the overall concept of the series came to be. I thought that if I could only read one book in the series, that might be a good choice, so when it came out in paperback, I snagged a copy for my book stash. I'm drawn to the premise of deities and demons mixing with mortals (I'll probably like the first part of the book better than the last), and the dark elements of Acheron's story are no problem for me, so it'll serve as my Kenyon sampler.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be interested to know if you liked Acheron without reading the first books, or if you felt you had missed something. When I read the first books, Archeron is a pivotal character throughout. It felt like it took forever to get his story! :o)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great series!

    I really like how you are putting all your books in order by series with links to your catalog. I will be referring back to this often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this series. I believe you nominated it once, but it didn't get chosen. I really hope Fantasy Lover makes the book vote for fall! Or even Night Pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will check to see if we have enough copies to do a group read with Fantasy Lover. I know we did last fall. This is one of my favorite series!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete