Sunday, March 6, 2011

Vorkosigan Series by Lois McMaster Bujold

No professional review compares to a personal recommendation from someone you know who shares your interest in books.  For example, I may never have picked up this series had it not been recommended here, and I am glad that I did.  I haven't read strait sci-fi in a very long time, but this book reminded me that a well written story is timeless. 

We did not own Shards of Honor, the first book suggested from a blog follower, but I found it on our interlibrary loan system.  I took a picture to share, because this small paperback is yellowed, broken, worn, and well used.  It made me wonder how many hands touched this book over the years, and how wonderful it was that twenty-five years after its publication in 1986, that this title was mentioned on a blog and still discussed in book groups. 

The following is a reading order suggested by the author (that I unashamedly stole from her website).  The books' date of publication are next to the title, and you may notice that they are not in publication order.  However, I choose to default to the author's recommendation.

Vorkosigan Series

  • Dreamweaver's Dilemma in Dreamweaver's Dilemma (1996)
  • Falling Free (1988)
  • Shards of Honor (1986)
  • Barrayar (1991)
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (1986)
  • The Mountains of Mourning in Borders of Infinity (1989)
  • The Vor Game (1990)
  • Cetaganda (1995)
  • Ethan of Athos (1986)
  • Labyrinth in Borders of Infinity (1989)
  • The Borders of Infinity in Borders of Infinity (1987)
  • Brothers in Arms (1989)
  • Linking sections of Borders of Infinity (1989)
  • Mirror Dance (1994)
  • Memory (1996)
  • Komarr (1998)
  • A Civil Campaign (1999)
  • Winterfair Gifts (2004)
  • Diplomatic Immunity (2002)
  • Cryoburn (2010)
Sadly, we don't own all these titles, but here is a link to all books by Lois McMaster Bujold on our library catalog.  Be sure to try the "Search MaineCat" button on the upper right, which will take you to more libraries in Maine to request these titles.

Hope to see you in our library someday soon,
Jan

3 comments:

  1. Shards of Honor and Barrayar are now published in an omnibus edition with the title Cordelia's Honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful! Thank you for the correction! I will admit, this series is a confusing one to find a reading order, and available titles. I have relied on suggestions from others! :o)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, in the last few years, Baen has republished nearly all of the Vorkosigan books into omnibus editions. They should still be in print and readily available to anyone who is interested. I love that they finally put Shards and Barrayar in one place for me. I re-read those books at least twwice a year and always back to back.

    ReplyDelete