Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Linda Howard, one of my favorite romantic suspense authors!

Dream ManReview by Jan:

I was asked the other day who was my favorite author, and, as always, I rattle off this long list of favorites.  I'm not sure I can limit myself to just one.  I read several genres: fantasy, mystery/suspense and romance mostly.  Within each genre I do have favorites.  Linda Howard, for example, is one of those very special authors I read as soon as her books are published.  She writes romantic suspense.  I don't know what it is about her writing style, but she hooks me into her stories within the first page.  Every one of her books are amazing.  Dream Man has made many online lists for one of the best romances of all time, and I must say I agree. 

Among my favorite Howard's are Now You See Her, Son of the Morning, Kill and Tell, After the Night, All the Queen's Men, and Mr. Perfect.  She has a collection of short stories, Strangers in the Night, that is also wonderful.  I usually don't care for short stories, but these are very good.  Howard mixes mystery, suspense, intrigue, and romance.  They're all page-turners and unforgettable.  Visit me at the library and I will gush about every one of the books I have listed. 

Beware, Howard is usually graphic in all areas.  Although her latest releases have been tame compared to her older books, I still give her a Chili Pepper on Fire rating, with a warning that some scenes move toward Roasted, especially in the ones I have listed - my favorites of course!  :o)

All of these titles are stand alone books, a few have characters that appear in other books but it's not necessary to read one to understand the other.  Unfortunately, I noticed After the Night hasn't been returned, and this is Faith's story - a mystery that starts from her childhood in backwoods Louisiana, a very compelling (and steamy) read.  I'm going to try to reorder this one.  In the meantime, when you click the cover of each book, it will take you to our catalog, and you can always hit the "Search MaineCat" button for other library holdings to request the book. 

Hope to see you in our library someday soon,
Jan


: :  Request each book from the Bangor Public Library by clicking on the cover  : :

3 comments:

  1. I liked the Mackenzie Family series by this author. Mackenzie's Mountain, Mackenzie's Mission, Mackenzie's Pleasure, Mackenzie's Magic, and A Game of Chance. You may find them dated but I enjoyed them. I think the series started in the 80's and ended in the 90's. They're really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're talking about Howard's earlier books here...

    I loved the Mackenzie series as well. Joe in Mackenzie's Pleasure was my favorite.

    I agree that Sarah's Child had many thought provoking moments. It was published in 1985 (I just looked that up) and I remember I couldn't put it down. Twenty-five years later and I still remember the story and the characters. Doesn't that say something about this author? She's amazing!
    ~Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good Howard novel--she has a new one coming out this September--Prey. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete