Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Review by Kelly:
book jacketI just finished reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro and it is a great book. I think it is currently being made into a movie, so read it before you see it! It is much like the Unit by Ninni Holmqvist in the topic, but deals with children rather than adults. If you thought the Unit was creepy and compelling try this book and see how focusing on these chosen children adds another layer to the horror. I don't think this book is traditionally considered horror, but I covered my views on that in a previous post.

Never Let Me Go follows the lives of three individuals, who we first meet as young teens, as they leave "school" and enter the world at 18.  It is told from the point of view of one of the girls and is told in flashbacks and memories all of which ring true in voice. Check it out, and see if you're not watching the Science pages of your local paper when you finish.

By the way Horror lovers, May is Zombie Awareness Month!  Don't forget to wear your gray ribbon!  Don't know what the heck I am talking about? Check this out: http://zombieresearch.org/zombieawarenessmonth.html

Request Never Let Me Go from the Bangor Public Library

4 comments:

  1. I surprisingly enjoyed this book. I find many of the Booker Prize winning novelist's writing style pompous and tedious, but this author has a good grip on his pacing. One would hope the movie holds true to the storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say this book sounds interesting, and the Zombie Awareness Month link is a gas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good read. I remember it kept me up too late on a work night. I'm not surprised they are making it into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it turns out this film is already out there! It was released in 2010 but I guess it was a limited release here in the US. I saw the trailer for it when I rented Black Swan at the Redbox. It has won some awards internationally, and by now is probably available on DVD.

    ReplyDelete