Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Hollows Series by Kim Harrison

book jacketReview by Jan:

This is just an update for everyone.  Sorry we haven't posted in over a week.  I've been away on vacation and currently catching up on the Kim Harrison series.  I'm on book 5, For a Few Demons More.  I bought it for a long plane flight. I think I made the Christian fiction reader next to me a little nervous!  She asked me to put it away when we hit turbulance.  :o)  

Though this is categorized as horror, I find myself more drawn to the action/mystery elements of the stories.  I love the main character and the unique situations she finds herself in.  The setting is paranormal, with witches, elves, weres and vampires.  Rachel is an earth witch and also a P.I. who's loyalty to her friends has her making decisions against her moral code; how she juggles the consequences of those decisions makes for a very gripping read.  The author has done an amazing job building her characters.  There are many little nuances that draw me in, especially Jenks, Rachel's partner who happens to be a pixy. 

I have four more books to go in the series but I haven't been disappointed yet.  I will keep you posted on what I think as I finish the final four.  Also, I highly recommend you read this series in order.  I have listed the books below with links to our catalog. 

As always, hope to see you in the library someday soon!
Jan

The Hollows Series by Kim Harrison
1.  Dead Witch Walking
2.  The Good, The Bad, and The Undead
3.  Every Which Way But Dead
4.  A Fistful of Charms
5.  For a Few Demons More
6.  The Outlaw Demon Wails
7.  White Witch, Black Curse
8.  Black Magic Sanction
9.  Pale Demon

:  Request each book from the Bangor Public Library by clicking on the cover  : :
book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket

      

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder that I need to read the rest of this series! I read the first one a couple of years ago, really liked it and got the next few books (I found some of them signed at an online bookstore and couldn't resist). But I haven't read the next one yet. I've been thinking about what to read while traveling as well and the second one of these might be a good idea for it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite series! I had a difficult time with the first chapter of Dead Witch Walking, it was almost like info overload, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Each book gets better and better. Rachel's development as a character continues to grow with each installment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm REALLY hooked on this series again. For a Few Demons More was awesome. I love an author who's not afraid to kill off a main character. I'm not telling you who other than it's not Rachel. I'm moving on to Outlaw Demon Wails next.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen,
    I really started to get hooked on the characters around the second book. I don't know why I stopped reading this series around book three. Just too many other recommendations and books I needed to read for work I guess. I'm glad I picked it back up. I couldn't put four and five down.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how that goes - I have all kinds of unfinished series, and it's not because I don't really want to read the rest of the books. I think I have book ADD. There's always new books coming to my attention so I just can't keep up with them all!

    I've always heard this series just got better and better, and once the first book got going, I couldn't put it down so I really do need to start reading book 2 at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that analogy... I think I have book ADD too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this series! I hadn't realized Pale Demon was out. I'm going to download that tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harrison also writes a teen series that's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you enjoyed your vacation, Jan! I'm a little mystified as to why your seatmate wanted you to put that book away. Did she think that reading about witches and demons, etc., brought on a punishment of turbulence? That's not at all a dig against Christian fic readers, I just don't see the connection.

    Anyway, I'm very glad you put this post up. I'll be looking for it in the Series Archive list so I can easily find the reading order, which I'd already heard is important to follow. I think the "horror" classification is a bit misleading. It's not true horror a la Stephen King. It strikes me as being closer to Laurell Hamilton's series, but with arguably stronger (or at least different) storylines/characters and considerably less sex, for better or worse. Harrison's books don't seem to be quite romance-oriented enough to fall under the hugely popular "paranormal romance" heading, so they're kind of in Category Limbo. I don't think they're supposed to scare you or seduce you, but they should definitely entertain you.

    I'm really hoping Dead Witch Walking will be selected for the book group when we start up again in the fall. It looks like it contains a lot of elements we've read in the past -- paranormal, humor, action/mystery -- without going overboard on anything. Take note, group members!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And that is why I love our book group members!! :o) My seat mate was reading about the lives of the apostles - while I had For a Few Demons More in my hands. :o) The poor lady was scared out of her mind when turbulance hit. Fear can do funny things.

    Anyways, we already had this book as a book group read, but let's bring it up again since we have a whole new group. Dead Witch Walking is going to be one of my "Show and Tell" books over the summer when we meet. I just posted our summer meeting dates on the book group website. I'll be posting them on the blog as well after Thursday's meeting.

    See you in less than a week!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete