Thursday, July 21, 2011

Books to read for our August Meeting

Well here's a big Baby Bellini toast from Sarah and me to all the book group members who actually showed up to our meeting in this heat!  (I will post my Baby Bellini recipe soon---it's basically just raspberries, lemonade, and ginger ale---but it's a great combo)  Anyway, you're all awesome.  I would also like to send a great big welcome to our new members.

We actually decided on two books this month, or rather we had a difficult time deciding and ended up with two.  Remember, when we choose two titles, you only have to read one.  Just pick the one that most interests you.

One last reminder... when requesting one of our books, if our copy isn't available, you can always click the "Search MaineCat" button in the upper right of our catalog and that will bring you to all the other libraries in Maine.  IF YOU DON'T RECEIVE YOUR BOOK IN A WEEK... please send Sarah or me an email and we will make sure that you do.  Both of our emails are on the left sidebar of this blog.  You can request a book by clicking on the link under each cover below.

Enjoy,
Jan


1.  Black Hills by Nora Roberts
 
book jacket In the rugged Black Hills of South Dakota, a childhood friendship matures into an adult passion when something ... or someone ... threatens Lil Chance and her dream to open a wildlife refuge. The heartless killing of Lil's beloved cougar and recollections of an unsolved murder catapult New York investigator Coop Sullivan into action to keep Lil safe.

~ This book came highly recommended by one of our book group members, enough so that I can't wait to start it!

Request Black Hills from The Bangor Public Library


2.  Dark Fever by Karen Marie Moning

book jacketMac is stunned to discover that her sister's murder was far more than a random act of violence and resents the awakening of a mysterious ability to sense the Fae and their talismans, a talent that sends her on a quest to find a mystical book of dark power!  

~ I've been hearing about this book all week---Sarah read through this entire series---and we usually share the same tastes in books, so I'm willing to bet this is going to be a good one.
Chili Pepper On FirePlease note... there is a Flaming Chili Pepper rating on this one!
Our Chili Pepper Rating Explained

6 comments:

  1. Hello! Just a quick post to let everyone know that Dark Fever is available on Kindle. I am really excited to get started!
    AnnMarie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Black Hills a few months ago and it was a one of her better books in a long time. I think she did a great job with her setting and I really enjoyed the wildlife aspect. The romance was typical Nora, but always good for a nice fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I just started Dark Fever and the writing style reminds me a little of Mary Janice Davidson's vampire series, a chick-lit type of protagonist mixed with paranormal elements----but the premise is interesting and the writing voice is snappy. I'll keep you posted as I continue along, and I'm sure Sarah will share her opinion---she really enjoyed this series! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Kindle tells me that I have read 40% of Dark Fever and I must say, "Holy Toledo, have I stepped out of my comfort zone!" I have never been interested in this type of storyline but I am going to tally forth. At a minimum, the book is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The heroine is young--twenty-two--and I've had to remind myself of that once or twice while reading. However, I'm still entertained. The writing style has that chick-lit snarky voice, which I don't normally read as well. I will say I feel old reading this book, but I can see why people are drawn to this genre. :o)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to say I really liked Dark Fever and I did not think I would. Anyone else feel the same????

    ReplyDelete