Sunday, August 14, 2011

Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Help!  My zucchini has taken over my garden.  What does this have to do with books?  Well, my garden situation does remind me of a series by Louise Penny, a marvelous mystery author who writes a cozy series set in Canada.  One of my favorite lines in her first book, Still Life, concerns the overabundant zucchini plant: "The only reason why people lock their doors is to stop neighbors from dropping off extra zucchini in the fall."   Isn't that a wonderful line?  It described her community perfectly.  However, we probably will not be reading Penny's book, but we did review it on our literary fiction side if anyone is interested... Still Life by Louise Penny.
Anyway, notice how even my garden moments somehow refer back to a favorite book!  :o)  Our next meeting is a little over a week away, on Thursday, August 25th at 5:30.  Are you wondering where I'm going with this whole zucchini topic?  Well... I've been working on a zucchini bread recipe that came out surprisingly good, more like a moist, fluffy brownie than a bread.  I have so much zucchini from my garden that any decent recipe is worth a try.  I've included the recipe below, and the bread will be served at our August meeting for our "something sweet."
Hope to see you all then,
Jan


Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
(Makes two loaves)
Heat oven to 350˚
Measure the following dry ingredients into a bowl.  Stir well and set aside.
2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
2 teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of instant coffee
½ teaspoon of baking powder
2 cups of white sugar

In a separate bowl combine the following wet ingredients and whisk well.
½  cup of unsweetened apple sauce
½ cup of vegetable oil
4 large eggs
2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
Add 3 cups of shredded raw zucchini to moist ingredients and mix well.   I grate zucchini with medium size grater or just use a food processor beforehand.   Also,  I always give the zucchini a little squeeze before adding it to the wet ingredients to remove excess moisture, but not all of it—just a little squeeze!  :o)
(1 ½ cups of chocolate chips needed for final step.  1 cup of walnuts can also be added at this step.)
Make a well in the center of flour and pour the moist ingredients in the well.  Stir until all the flour mixture is moistened.  Gently fold in 1½ cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips.  Pour mixed batter into 2 greased loaf pans.  (I spray it with Pam or Baker’s Joy and it does fine)  Bake at 350˚ for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick test comes clean.   Remove loaf from pan to cool.

4 comments:

  1. Chocolate heaven! Another great recipe, Jan! It's moist without being greasy, as I find many zucchini recipes can be. My only comment is I would add more nuts. Maybe increase it to 1 1/2 cups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm totally coming next week. Just for the zuchinni bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Hopefully it will be cooler! :o)
    ~Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to send out a giant THANK YOU to everyone who has sent me their favorite zucchini recipes, or dropped them off at the library! I have my own little collection going, and I love them all! :o)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete