Friday, September 2, 2011

Book Suggestion for October's Read

SoullessOne of the books that I will be suggesting for an October read is Soulless by Gail Carriger.  While I haven’t read this book the premise seems very interesting.  The book looks like a great mixture of alternate history, paranormal and romance.  The book is set in the Victorian era where vampires, werewolves and ghosts co-mingle with humans. But even in this society Alexia Tarabotti is a bit of an oddity because she is a spinster and also doesn’t have a soul, which is not generally known.  Trouble starts when Alexia is at a party and she kills a vampire with her parasol.  This does get the attention of Queen Victoria, who sends Lord Conall Maccon, who happens to be a Scottish Alpha werewolf, to investigate. The reviews that I have read make me think that this is a great blend of romance, paranormal, with some steampunk thrown in for good measure.  As I said I haven’t read it yet but I probably will before September’s meeting so I can give the book group members a little more insight.
The Library will be ordering a copy of the book for our collection. If you can’t wait there are available copies on the MaineCat system.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this series is a lot of fun to read! Hope you enjoy the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristen, this is a series Sarah brought to my attention. I haven't read it yet but it comes with some really great recommendations. I've ordered the series for the library. Now I'm really going to have to give book one a try! :o)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I've seen this series mentioned before -- maybe somewhere else in this blog? -- and I thought it sounded interesting. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous, Sarah posted this review, but I must say I am really interested now. I just reserved it in our free ebooks library. I promise to do a review if I like it. :o)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This series has a quirky herione. She reminds me a bit of Mary Poppins, only with vampires and weres instead of floating tea parties.

    ReplyDelete