Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

book jacketReview by Jan:

Moon Called is the first installment in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.  This book has been recommended to me countless times by patrons who know I love urban fantasy with strong heroines.  I don't know why it's taken me this long to read it, but after this book made our final vote two months in a row I finally picked it up---and was not disappointed.

Moon Called is set in a supernatural world of vampires, shape-shifters and fae.  Because of advancing technology, the supernatural beings have begun to reveal themselves to the human race, which leads to an interesting dynamic of pack/vampire/fea politics.  The lead character, Mercy Thompson, is a skin walker--explained as a coyote shapeshifter of Native American descent.  Mercy's mother is human, while her father passed away before her birth.  When Mercy began to shift into a coyote as an infant, her mother (being human and alone) was unprepared to handle her daughter's supernatural abilities.  Hence, Mercy's mother was convinced to allow her daughter to be raised by a foster family of werewolves.  Also, at this point in the series, Mercy is the only skinwalker in existence who doesn't belong to any race, supernatural or otherwise.  This loner dynamic has created a very likable lead character who is strong yet compassionate.  I'm hooked on this series for Mercy's character alone, but the secondary characters are just as compelling to follow.

All and all, this was a fun read.  For an urban fantasy, I found Moon Called tamer than others I've read in the same genre which was a refreshing change.  There was absolutely no profanity or spicy scenes, but the characters were so likable that those graphic elements were not needed.

This book was yet another awesome recommendation from the group!
Jan

Request Moon Called from the Bangor Public Library

5 comments:

  1. If you like Mercy, you should keep reading the series, her character only gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle. There were teasers in Moon Called that hinted Mercy really didn't understand what she was, or her potential danger to the other supernatural creatures, which has me curious where the author is going with this character.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this! I really like this series mainly because I do enjoy Mercy as a character so much. And I agree with Michelle, it just gets better after the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristen, great to hear from you! I've been waffling whether to read book two next or move on to Naked In Death by J.D. Robb (another book on my "to read" pile that's been repeatedly recommended as well). That one is a little daunting... I think Roberts is up to thirty-something in that series.

    I think I'll continue with Mercy. The head of the wolf pack has some interesting potential! :o)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't read J.D. Robb either so can't help you there, but this series is great! You should keep going.

    ReplyDelete