Friday, January 20, 2012

Books to read for February...

I just wanted to thank everyone who came to the meeting last night, especially in this warm January weather!  I had so much fun.  I love the discussion on A Certain Slant of Light, and I always like to talk about Jinx and Rachel from Kim Harrison's series.

We voted on two months of books because our new E-readers will be available for our February meeting, and we wanted to have the books purchased and downloaded for you to bring home.

A few things have changed with our new grant.  We now will purchase ten books from each title chosen that will NOT appear on the library catalog.  If you couldn't make the meeting please send Sarah or me an email (they're listed on the left side bar) and we will put a copy of the books on the hold shelf for you!

So, the winners from last night's book vote were...

Books to read for February:
1.  The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
2.  The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

book jacket  book jacket

Books to read for March:
1.  The Magicians by Lev Grossman
2.  The Woman In Black by Susan Hill

book jacket 

Hope to see you all next month!  And, I will post a review soon of Hunger Games so we all can comment!
Jan

12 comments:

  1. cool list. I've read the Hunger Games already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The Hunger Games has been one of those books that is a constant topic of conversation amongst library staff. I'm reading it this weekend. I'm also looking forward to The Woman In Black. It was recommended by one of our book group members and she really sold it. It sounds awesome. And I've been seeing the movie trailer all week. I'm just going to try to get the image of Harry Potter out of my head when I read it!! Not that I won’t forever love The Harry Potter series! :o)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's the problem with me too!! I've seen the trailer for woman in black and that makes me want to read the book. But Radcliff playing the lead in the movie is very interesthing. I can't help but thnk of him as Harry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been told Radcliff is perfect for the role, that he fits the character in the book. It sounds like a great ghost story. Our little Harry must move on I guess... I'm glad he found a role the fits him. :0)

    I'm in the middle of Hunger Games at the moment, and WOW is this book gripping.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes.it is. Unfortunately i can't get my hands on Catching Fire, the paperback isn't out yet.I found Hunger Games a bit frightening but yes gripping too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know. The concept is very brutal for a YA novel, but engrossing. Good luck with finding the paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Hunger Games was awesome. I read the whole series and I think the first book is the best. I didn't realize The Woman In Black was based n a novel. I will have to find a copy before watching the movie. I have to read the book first or else I can't get into it after a movie or T V series, especially if they change the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hunger Games certainly is interesting. Lots to think about and I can understand why the content would generate a good deal of spirited conversation. I do not believe that I will move on to book number two, the read simply isn't my type. I am looking forward to discussing this book at our next meeting. I am hoping that some insight from the other members will help me gain more of an appreciation for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. On The Hunger Games. I finished this book in a day, and I can say that I haven't been so emotionally invested in the plight of a character and a very long time. As with many YA books, however, I had to force myself to think like a teenager and not a parent! I was happy to hear that the next book Katniss is the leader of the revolution against the Capitol.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just a test to see if I can log in as my new persona - for some reason it wants me to keep the old one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You weren't supposed to post that!

    I can't seem to get rid of one of my profiles - I hope I'll be able to do that at some point in the future . . . :D

    ReplyDelete