Monday, February 6, 2012

The Taker by Alma Katsu

book jacket
I just received an email from Alma Katsu, the author of The Taker.  I must say her book sounds perfect for our group.  I'm ordering a copy for the library.  Also, she's given me permission to post her email.  I have a feeling you'll be intrigued with this book as much as I am.  So, I had to share.  At the bottom of this post there's a link to Alma Katsu's website---it's beautiful!  If you have a moment, check it out.

As always, hope to see you in our library someday soon,
Jan

From Alma Katsu:
I was reading the book blog Read React Review and followed the link over to your book group. At the risk of seeming like a completely pushy author, it seemed that my debut novel, The Taker might be the kind of book your club might find interesting. There's a lot of Maine in it as half of the book takes place in Aroostook County in the early 1800s (Bangor is mentioned, too!). It's the story of a young woman who falls in love with a man she cannot have, and is later given the opportunity to make him hers forever with the help of a mysterious, seductive man with otherworldly powers. After she accepts his help, she learns that she's made a terrible bargain and it's up to her to save her and her lover from a hellish fate that will last all of eternity.

It's a dark, edgy book with elements of historical, horror, and romance. It's been compared a lot to the early work of Anne Rice, but doesn't have traditional horror characters like vampires or werewolves. It was chosen by Booklist as one of the top ten debut novels of 2011. And there are two things readers say about it: I couldn't put it down, and It wasn't at all what I expected. It is not a sugary paranormal romance story.

There's more information on the book at http://www.almakatsu.comThank you for your time.
Best,
Alma


2 comments:

  1. I downloaded the sample of this last night. It does have an early Anne Rice feel to it, that epic paranormal love for eternity type of story. The reviews warned it's going to get graphic, so I had to buy the book after that. I'm enjoying the historical version of Maine. It feels authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five of our nooks now have a copy of this on them! I'm still in the middle of The Woman In Black, which I am enjoying, but after I'm going to read The Taker.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete