Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris


Review by Sarah

I just finished “Dead until Dark” by Charlaine Harris the other night.   Have to say that it was an enjoyable read but it did take awhile for me to get into it. But after finishing it I did download the next book in the series.

We have Sookie Stackhouse who is a waitress in a small Louisiana town named Bon Temps.  Sookie is a pretty, blond, twenty-five year old waitress, who works at a bar called Merlotte’s.  Sookie however has a disability, as she refers to it.  Sookie can read minds.  It is for this reason that many of the citizens refer to her as “Crazy Sookie Stackhouse.”   It takes a lot of effort to block out everyone else thoughts,  so often times she is concentrating so hard on this, that even the simplest things mess Sookie up.  Sookie has never dated anyone seriously because she knows exactly what the man is thinking about her. 

This changes when a vampire named Bill, enters Merlotte’s.  Vampires have only recently been accepted into American society. They now have rights and it is even illegal to kill them.  This is ironic seeing that they are already dead.  Many bars now carry synthetic blood for the vampire clientele.  There is even part of society that wants to be fed on by vampires, these individual are called fang-bangers.  What Sookie finds so attractive about Bill, besides his looks, is that she cannot read his mind.  

There is a lot of anti-vampire sentiment in the community. One person has taken it to the extreme and is killing young women who happen to like to date or feed vampires.  Sookie soon realizes that her relationship with Bill makes her a target. She tries to break it off, but soon realizes that she is in love with Bill. 

As I mentioned earlier I did enjoy the book and want to read the second one, but I did have a few issues with the book.  I wish that there was more of a feel of the south in the book. Besides the names it seems like Bon Temps, could be located anywhere in the country.  Also I just don’t get Sookie’s attraction to Bill.  I know part of it is that can’t read his mind but other than that I just don’t get it.  To me he seems quite boring and there wasn’t enough of a build up before the relationship started.  I am quite intrigued with what may happen between her and Sam and perhaps Eric.  I have heard that the HBO series “True Blood” is quite good but deviates from the book quite a bit so I am not sure if I will watch it right away.  I may wait until I get further in to the series before I watch it. ~Sarah

Request Dead until Dark from the Bangor Public Library

No comments:

Post a Comment