Monday, June 4, 2012

Vengeance Born by Kylie Griffin

Review by Jan:

I came across this author while downloading a bunch of samples to my eReader.  For the record, I have decided that eReader samples are a marvelous thing.  I usually get my first twenty-five pages from a sample, and from there, if the author has intrigued me, I borrow it from the library.  Or, if I just can't wait one more day---I buy the book!

I bought this book.

This is the first Kylie Griffin novel I've read, and I have to admit that this cover was too tempting to ignore.  Out of all the book samples I read that day, this is the only one that compelled me to push that ever-tempting red "buy it now" button.  Vengeance Born is the first book in a new paranormal romance series.  For those of you who like books by Nalini Singh, I would recommend you try this author.



The setting is in a fantasy world where humans and demons are at war, with a human deity referred to as The Lady.  The heroine of this story, Annika, is half demon, half human, raised by her demon father.  Annika is a product of revenge in the war between the humans and demons, raised amongst demons who despise her humanity.  However, she is gifted by The Lady, the human's deity, as a powerful healer.  In an act of betrayal to her demon father, she helps a human escape the demon's torture chamber in return for his help in her own escape.

The hero, Kalan, is The Lady's chosen leader.  Imprisoned by the demons, his death a real possibility, he agrees to Annika's offer, hiding his true identity.  Throughout their escape from the demon's territory, Kalan is challenged by his own prejudice toward the demons, while conflicted by his faith, and the undeniable gift that his deity bestowed upon a half human/demon.

Without question, this book has a traditional romance genre feel, complete with love-angst, sexual tension, spicy scenes, and followed by a happy ending.  (All our book group members know how much I adore a happy ending)  With that said, there was depth to this story, especially concerning racial prejudice.  I was engrossed by the fantasy world Griffin created.  She formed a believable war between two races fueled by ignorance and prejudices on both sides.  It was an enjoyable read, and in many ways thought provoking---with a happy ending, of course!

Alliance Forged
is the next book in this series.  I have ordered both books for the library's collection.

Hope to see you in our library someday soon,
Jan



Rating:
 Chili Pepper On Fire

4 comments:

  1. Jan, thank you for your lovely review of VENGEANCE BORN. I appreciate you taking the time to do this, and then to order copies for your library! Wow! Thank you, muchly appreciated!

    Discovering your review was a wonderful way to start my day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie, thank YOU for logging in to comment!!! I raved about your book at our last book group meeting. :o) It was such a lovely read and will most likely find its way onto our fall vote for the group. I'm looking forward to reading Alliance Forged!
      ~Jan

      Delete
    2. I know it's not quite the same as being signed in person but I'd be more than happy to send over some signed book plates for any copies of my books you/your group might have. :-) I just need a postal address,if you're interested. I can be emailed on kyliegriffin71(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au

      Delete
    3. Kylie, thank you so much for the offer! I shall email you!

      NYOBG members...I forgot to mention in my post that I donated Vengeance Born to the Red Nook Team. So, everyone who has a red Nook--it's there! Read it. :o)
      Jan

      Delete