Monday, August 6, 2012

The Search by Nora Roberts

Book CoverReview by Jan:

With this book, as with most of Nora Robert's books, I am reminded why this author dominates a genre, simply because she is a consistent, and good, storyteller.  I have been in a weird reading mood, not able to get into much this summer, and was grateful to find a story I didn't want to put down.  I picked this book up because it was recommended by a NYOBG member and because it made our fall vote.  Also, it received good reviews from the mystery/thriller readers of our library.

Fiona Bristow is the sole survivor of George Perry, a serial killer who abducted and strangled his victims with a red scarf.  Perry is now in prison and exacting his revenge on Fiona through a proxy student.  Several years earlier, she lost her fiance and his K-9 officer to Perry.  A survivor, she rebuilt her life on a Orcas Island in the San Juans off of Washington.  She trains dogs for search and rescue.  When Perry's "student" begins to recreate his murders, she finds herself fighting her former tormentor once again.

Although this story leans more toward a mystery/thriller, there is a hero and romance interest.  Simon is a carpenter, ornery and quite attached to his solitude, and unprepared for Fiona in his life.  His mother gave him a lab puppy as a present, not wanting her son to be alone.  Desperate for help with a new canine chewing terror in his routine life, Simon brings his puppy to Fiona for training.  The  relationship dynamics of the puppy and owner is both entertaining and heartwarming.  This book has quite a bit of dog training and search and rescue scenes throughout.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, especially because I adore dogs and have my own puppy training issues at the moment.  The mystery/thriller elements were well executed, as were the characters and their motivations.  It was a great summer read.

As always, hope to see you in our library someday soon,
Jan

6 comments:

  1. I love Nora Roberts.
    And this book sounds funny. I'm positive it's a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! It really was an entertaining read. It kept me interested from the very first chapter. I LOVED the two main characters. My favorite Nora book has always been Carolina Moon, but this is an equally good installment in her booklist.
      Jan

      Delete
    2. I like the MaCgregors series, and her Irish heart series. So yeah I like the Irish themed books (who doesn't). I'm haunted by one book tho, The Mackade brothers #3, I call the book "sinfully sexy'. because that's one of the sentences that's stayed with me. I can't burrow it because it belongs to a school library( I don't go the the said school).

      Delete
  2. Anonymous NYOBG MemberAugust 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM

    On the strength of this review, I looked at a copy of this book in a store, and it did indeed look appealing. I can't say I'm a fan of Roberts' full-on romances, but this looks like it has enough other elements to keep me interested, namely, the mystery/thriller aspect, the Washington island setting, and the dog training and search-and-rescue storylines.

    Thanks for the review, Jan, and good luck with the puppy training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was an enjoyable read. The romance was not the main focus but it was well done. I really liked this hero.
      Jan

      Delete
    2. Hi, I also enjoy Nora Roberts books. This one was a good one. I also read her other new release "The Witness", this started out great with a really interesting story about a young girl that rebels for the first time and makes uncharacteristically bad choices that lead to her being a witness to a murder. It started out great, but I felt the ending was a bit weak, she wrapped a complicated story up very quickly. I did enjoy it though even though I would have like a few more chapters to flesh out the ending. I always enjoy her stories though, good characters with good writing, always a nice romance in there as well. Enjoy! Lori

      Delete